Friday, January 20, 2012

Some 'Splainin to do

Oh the power of a blog! Four letters that form an odd little word that sounds like the name of a friendly monster that might be found under my bed. I am very excited to have this little corner of cyberspace to myself- to exercise my mind and share a little of my soul with whomever might care to listen. I feel like this moment should be heralded by trumpet playing or a ribbon cutting with huge shiny scissors, but alas, it is just me, sitting solitary at my uncomfortable desk, wrapped in a fleecy blanket and thinking about what I need to be doing right now because my baby is taking a nap.

So began the life of the blog "hodgepodge" on November 2, 2005.  2005?  Seriously? Has it been 7 years since I began typee-type-typing away and hitting the publish key?  Yep.  And now I announce the birth of a new blog, a new venture, a new phase, a new corner to become attached to and in which to, well, write some stuff.

You may frown, crinkling the skin in the middle of your eyebrows, maybe even squinting a suspicious eye my way and ask, "why now, why a new blog?"  Good questions, squinty eyebrow scruncher.  Simply this: I love to write.  I need to write.  Writing is right for me right now.  My dear old vintage hodgepodge has become mainly a record of a family's doings.  This is great and needed and I love keeping up with our doings this way- it is very good for long distance friends and family too.  But in looking back through the archives I found that I used to "write" more.  I thought more and was free and fun and silly, sometimes serious, but I wrote, and that is the point.  I want to write again.  (Strangled sob....not really.) 

So what's to come?  Oh, you know.  Photos, and book reviews and poems and maybe a rant or two.  Deep thoughts?  Maybe.  Giveaways?  You should be so lucky.  Fashion advice?  Prrrrrobably not.  Political prognostications?  Doubt it.  Big words?  Yep.  I do love them.  Chapters from THE PAST?  Sure, why not?  I might even take requests. 

So here I am, Sincerely yours, again. 

Changes since inception of hodgepodge, circa 2005....
Then/Now
1 baby/4 babies
Alabama/Virginia
Husband not military/husband military
me young/me old
good knees/bad knees
did not love Chinese food/still doesn't love Chinese food
had never eaten at Mystic Pizza in Connecticut/ have eaten at Mystic Pizza in Connecticut
had a cat/no longer have a cat (so sorry, Wally)
showered frequently/not so much anymore
loved antiques/ still loves antiques (AKA "junk" according to dear military husband)
had never heard of, much less been to, an IKEA/have been to IKEA and is a little obsessed with it
ANNND I could go on, but I will not pain you anymore.  Needless to say, wow(!) alot can happen in seven years.  So stay tuned for the next seven, dear reader!

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Wally...I miss Wally (don't tell Brandon). I'm excited to be a reader of your writings and to be the very first commenter! :) You do need to write Merrill and I need to read what you write so I'm glad you are doing this for the both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Merrill! I love to read everything you write. I feel like I'm sitting across from you with cups of coffee or tea in our hands! Write on, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, you're not old. You're just wiser with more life experience ;)

    ReplyDelete