Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Simple Things

"I believe we would be happier to have a personal revolution in our individual lives and go back to simpler living and more direct thinking. It is the simple things of life that make living worthwhile, the sweet fundamental things such as love and duty, work and rest, and living close to nature." — Laura Ingalls Wilder


I have come to the point in my life where I need a "personal revolution" in order to function and thrive in this present phase of life.  I am not an organized person.  I struggle with order and organization in a home with four little ones and it has come to a head in the form of an overwhelmed, exhausted mom and a house that borders on out of control.  Stuff accumulates, piles grow, and I tread water, almost drowning, looking around for a life preserver.

Our universe is orderly, our Creator is the one who made this complex, orderly universe, and he can certainly help me bring order to my little world.  When I need to learn about a subject I read books.  In this case I am reading "Organized Simplicity" by Tsh Oxenreider.  Her book is, like the title, organized and simple, concise and readable and practical.  It begins at the beginning and attacks the problem our society has with possessions and accumulation and even living to excesses.  Then she challenges you to create your "family purpose statement" and re-evaluate everything you have and every room you live in from the perspective of your family's purposes and goals.  She tackles the subject of money- urging a not-obsessive but wise and simple approach, including getting out of debt.  Oxenreider walks you through the creation of a Home Management Notebook, which has pages for each day's tasks, menu planning, projects, the monthly budget, and more.  Then she walks you through a "purge" of your entire house. 

Okay, Ms. Oxenreider, I am game.  I'm feeling "ruthless" as I eye my piles and heaps of stuff.  I actually already started with the easy room, the living room.  It is the room with the least clutter.  I did send piles of magazines to the recycle bin, and stacks of books to the giveaway or yard sale pile.  I've gotten my husband on board- he is as frustrated with our plight as I am- and we purged away, together.  It was serious marital bonding.  Next on our purge-o-rama will be the dreaded kitchen.  I'll let you know how it goes and post a picture of the most interesting thing we will be selling/giving away.  It will NOT be the Big Chief Opener.  I promise, Big Chief.

(this jewel I inherited from my grandmother)

1 comment:

  1. so Ikea is having some great sales, would it be wrong of me to see if you wanted to go shopping? :) I'm doing it for the sake of organization. Really thinking about a family closet...

    ReplyDelete