Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Eulogy: 1. A laudatory speech or written tribute, especially one praising someone who has died. 2. High praise or commendation.

I lost my Dad a week and a half ago, but he is not lost.  He is feasting and singing with Jesus, perfectly healed and perfectly happy.  It is for me and my family now to grieve well, with this hope. (1Peter1:3-5)  And when I say hope, I don't mean, "gosh, I sure hope Dad is in heaven and I sure hope I get there."  When I say hope I mean a certainty I am looking forward to, something firm and solid and sealed with the promise of God.  This is the reason I can smile through my tears. I process things best by writing and I will be writing a lot in order to remember and in order to clear my mind and see the things God might be trying to help me see.  I hope to post some things here- who knows, maybe they will help others too.  Below is my part of the eulogy at my Dad's memorial service. 


When I was born, my Dad was on an aircraft carrier in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  He got a telegram about my birth and he always told me how proud and excited he was to hear of my birth.  Since day one, my Dad has loved me like no other and I have never doubted his love for a minute.  He loved me with his mix of sweetness and toughness and he is the reason I have no problem seeing God as my loving Father. 

When I would read, “your heavenly Father gives good gifts to his children” I could nod and say yep!  Just like Dad.  He would bring me little trinkets when I was little, like a coffee mug with teddy bears on it, or a little lace butterfly pin he brought back from Belgium, or books of poetry that he would sign,” To Merrill, the best girl in the world, Love, Dad.”  Even as an adult he was generous and showed how he loved me with gifts.  Thoughtful things and practical ones too, like the furry boots he sent last winter. 
When I would read, “God will take great delight in you,” I could smile and say, of course, just like Dad.  We had secret games and special silly nicknames he would call me like, “Hollywood” or “Creature” or “Whirly.”  He would kiss and hug me and hold my hand and sit me on his lap while he read or watched tv.  We would laugh together and joke and be completely silly and goofy.  We would sit on the front porch and watch thunderstorms together.  We would discuss the books we’d been reading.
And when I would read “God is your Comforter” and “God is wise” and “God loves you” and “God really loves you!”  I could smile and nod again and again.  Just like Dad! Holding me when my cat died; Teaching me to drive a stick and change the oil in my car; taking me out to lunch.  Encouraging me in every pursuit and talent- and always bringing me back to the main thing- trusting in Jesus alone and following him.

I did not deserve such a Dad, and it makes me weep to think of God’s goodness in showing me his love through the love of the Dad he gave me here for 33 years…. So I wrote this for him and I say:

“To Dad, the best Dad in the world”

Love, Merrill

3 comments:

  1. Merrill, these words are so precious. Thank you so much for sharing them. I'm so happy y'all can grieve well, knowing that your Daddy is with the Lord.

    Praying for you,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrill, I didn't know your dad, but you sound so much like him. What a blessing it is to have had a father who modeled God's love for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad- I didn't know. I will pray for you all- for comfort and peace. You were surely blessed to have such an amazing man as your father. So glad he to know he is with his Savior.

    ReplyDelete