Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Be Kind, Rewind

I mainly post this picture because of that dear little baby sitting there grinning at my pile of books that got the boot.   I want you to know that the household purge is in effect. This is also a noteworthy picture because you can see in the foreground an actual VCR.  Yes, folks, that is an electronic device that came before the DVD player and is actually the grandfather of the Blue Ray.  VCR stands for Video Cassette Recorder and the video cassettes were these huge black rectangles containing actual tape that had to be rewound after one watched the movie.  I explain all this for sentimental reasons, so we will never forget how far we've come. 

Yes, we are just now getting rid of our VCR.  What is wrong with us?  Good grief!  We got rid of our videotapes years ago!  I think this VCR became like that weird out of place mole you might have on your arm- you see it but you never really SEE it so you forget it's there and you don't realize that it's pretty dang ugly and needs to be cut off.  Bye Bye VCR.  I think there's really no use for you anylonger.  Well, that sets me to thinking....Possible repurposes for said VCR:

1.  Convert into an EZ bake oven for kids.
2.  Paint it blue and nail it to our house as a mailbox.
3.  Cut it in half, modpodge cute paper onto it and use the pieces as bookends.
4.  Use it for a game, like Elf on the Shelf.  VCR Buddy on the Shelf.  The kids can find it in random places all over the house, like in their closet or under their pillow when they wake up.
5.  Put cheese in it and stick it in under the sink as a mouse trap.  (The mice are another story.)

Well that was a fun exercise in being green and trying for one of the three R's (you know...reduce, re-use, recycle).  I think I'll go with the Run it out to da Trash option.  Unless you want it.  Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment